Our team of investment specialists oversees our investment portfolios and manages a number of investments in house.
Investing in a highly skilled team
We invest in our investment team so that they have the resources to find and invest in opportunities that can create value and sustainable, long-term returns for our members. When recruiting, a key focus is on ensuring alignment with our investment beliefs and members first philosophy. All who join the investment team are passionate about investing.
How our team is structured
Our investment team is made up of more than 134 investment specialists who oversee our externally managed investments, and manage a number of direct assets and investment portfolios in-house. Our team members have a broad range of experience and expertise. On average, our team members average more than 12 years’ experience in funds management and investment research.
The team is led by Damian Graham, our Chief Investment Officer. Damian is responsible for the investment strategy of both Aware Super and Aware Financial Services Australia Limited and has over 31 years of experience in the industry.
Investment strategy team
Our investment strategy team has a whole-of-fund view and considers how we invest at a holistic level. This team is responsible for:
- setting the strategic asset allocation (mix of assets) for each option, and
- implementing active asset allocation decisions when a market opportunity arises or in periods of market disclocation.
Asset class teams
Our other investment teams are structured by asset classes which allows our Analysts and Portfolio Managers to focus on investments within their respective sectors, applying their relevant specialist capabilities and background. As an example, we have a Property team that focuses on investments in both listed and unlisted property assets.
The specialist teams engage extensively with a support team of investment tax, legal, governance, responsible investment and operational due diligence professionals to ensure the end investment is researched to a high standard, incorporates environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations, and is structured appropriately to deliver optimal investment outcomes for our members.
Areas of focus
Overall, the investment team seeks to deliver value to our members with an approach that focuses on:
- Active and strategic asset allocation to get the right mix of different investment types
- High quality research to underpin and improve investment decisions
- Managing select assets in-house, which brings market insights and greater access to unique opportunities
- Integrating Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) considerations into the investment process.
- Active ownership and engagement to drive positive change with the companies we invest in.
Additionally, the team also performs a cash flow and portfolio re-balancing function for the diversified and single asset class options, to ensure alignment with target asset allocations as closely as possible.
We currently manage a portion of the following asset classes in house (as at 30 June 2023):
- Australian Shares
- International Shares
- Fixed Income
- Credit Income
- Private Equity