Choosing your investments
There are many ways to invest to deliver value. We research a range of investment styles, investment managers and types of investments. We do this to find the right investments for our members.
Listed and unlisted assets
We can invest in listed investments, like shares and unlisted investments, like direct property. What your super is invested in will depend on your investment option or options.
Active and passive investing
An investment approach is the way investments are selected and managed to achieve an objective.
- Active investing involves making decisions that aim to outperform the broader market.
- Passive investing aims to match the performance of the market, and usually invests in a market index, like the ASX 200.
We prefer active investing as we believe it adds more value over time. However, where the returns are not compelling or it is too costly, we will passively invest. We also give our members access to a range of low-cost indexed options. These use a passive approach to investing.
Aware Super has specialist investment teams for each type of asset class. For example we have a Property team and a Cash team. The teams are experts in selecting investments in their chosen asset class.
Investments are selected based on extensive research.
Research looks at things like:
- a company’s financial position, like how much profit they make and what their expenses are
- market trends that may impact the performance of a company or type of asset
- environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors.
We have robust processes and governance frameworks in place. This is to manage the risks involved in making lots of investment decisions. All investments have to meet certain criteria to be included in our portfolios. A consistent process ensures we are considering the right things for every investment. It also empowers the experts with the most knowledge to be able to make the decision.