Being a responsible owner means we invest for strong retirement outcomes for our members, while also considering the impact of our investments on the environment and society. We embed environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations into our investment processes across all our investment options and asset classes.
We’re a profit-to-member fund, which means everything we do is for the benefit of our members who are also part of the broader community. Through our investments in renewables, affordable housing, community, and new technologies, we’re helping to contribute to a more productive economy and support the communities where our members live, work and retire. We are:
- A global leader in responsible investing
- Acting on climate change
- Investing to benefit the communities our members live, work and retire in
- Driving change through governance, engagement and advocacy
We’re recognised as a leader in responsible investing, as evidence by our awards, memberships, and invitations to join global initiatives:
- In 2022 we received the:
- inaugural Best Fund: Responsible Investment Award from Chant West1
- Responsible Asset Allocators Initiative Leaders List Award
- Rainmaker Information Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Leader Award
- Responsible Investment Association Australasia (RIAA) Responsible Investment Leader Award
- In 2020 we received the highest A+ Rating from the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI).
- In 2019 we were the only Australian super fund to be awarded global ESG Incorporation Initiative of the Year by PRI.
- Recognised by the PRI as a leader in our approach to fund manager selection, appointment and monitoring.
- One of only 30 companies invited to form the Global Investors for Sustainable Investment Development Alliance (GISD).
- We are an inaugural participant in Climate Action 100+ a global initiative to reduce greenhouse gases.
- The first major Australian super fund to become Tobacco Free in 2012.*
- An active member of the Investor Group on Climate Change.
* Tobacco exclusion is direct investments in tobacco manufacturers and/or producers (including subsidiaries, joint ventures and affiliates) which derive 5% or more of their revenue from the manufacture and/or production of tobacco products.
1 © Zenith CW Pty Ltd ABN 20 639 121 403 (Chant West), AR of Zenith Investment Partners Pty Ltd ABN 27 103 132 672, AFSL 226872/AFS Rep No. 1280401. Chant West Awards (Awards) issued 25 May 2022 and are determined using proprietary methodologies based on data from third parties and subject to copyright. Chant West does not accept any liability arising from use of Awards. Awards are solely statements of opinion and do not represent recommendations to purchase, hold or sell product(s) or make any other investment decisions. To the extent the Awards constitute advice, it is General Advice only without taking into consideration the objectives, financial situation or needs, including target markets of financial products. Individuals should consider their personal circumstances, read the PDS or offer document and seek independent financial advice before making investment decisions. Past performance is not an indication of future performance. Awards are current for 12 months from the date awarded and subject to change at any time. Awards for previous years are referenced for historical purposes only. Go to www.chantwest.com.au for full information on Chant West’s research methodology, processes, ratings definitions and FSG.
We believe climate change is a significant long-term risk to the planet, our investment portfolio, and ultimately our members’ retirement outcomes.
For this reason, we have for over ten years invested in renewable energy and new technologies that can deliver strong long-term investment returns and be a force for good in society.
Through our Climate Change Transition Plan, we’re transitioning our portfolio to a low carbon economy with bold action and setting of clear targets:
- Divested from thermal coal miners*
- Reducing our equity portfolio emissions by 30%
- Advocating for an economy-wide 45% reduction in emissions by 2030
Read about how we’re taking bold action on climate change
*Thermal coal exclusion - direct investments in companies that generate 10% or more of their revenues directly from mining thermal or energy coal.
Being a responsible owner also means that while investing for strong retirement outcomes for our members, we seek to measure the positive impact.
Through our investments in renewables, residential/ living platforms, community and new technologies, we’re helping to support employment, contribute to a more productive economy, and improve the communities where our members live, work and retire.
Learn more about our investment in Aware Real Estate, which has exposure to essential worker affordable housing, and how we are helping to build a safer and more sustainable future by investing in renewables.
As a responsible owner, we consider the environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices of the companies we invest in. We believe that companies and assets with sound ESG management are more likely to increase in value over the long term.
We also believe that engagement with our investee companies is essential to generating the best financial outcome for members. Ultimately, our aim is to deliver strong financial outcomes for our members. We do this by:
- voting on company resolutions (proxy voting)
- engaging on ESG issues with companies and external fund managers
- engaging with stakeholders
However, we also recognise there are some circumstances where it is appropriate to consider exclusions of a sector or a specific stock, particularly where it isn’t possible to influence a company through proxy voting, engagement or advocacy.