At Aware Super, we strive to deliver strong long-term investment returns and invest to create a positive impact for our members, their communities, and our society.
To do that, we take a Responsible Ownership approach to investing and take action to deliver sustainable outcomes for our members and the broader society. It’s an approach we have taken for 10 years and, today, Aware Super is:
“As a Responsible Owner, we invest to deliver strong long-term investment returns for our members while creating a positive impact for all.”
We’re at the forefront in responsible investing, leading and collaborating with a common purpose. We’re recognised as a leader through our awards, memberships, and invitations to join global initiatives:
- In 2020 we received the highest A+ Rating from the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI).
- In 2019 we were the only Australian super fund to be awarded global ESG Incorporation Initiative of the Year by PRI.
- Recognised by the PRI as a leader in our approach to fund manager selection, appointment and monitoring.
- One of only 30 companies invited to form the Global Investors for Sustainable Investment Development Alliance (GISD).
- We are recognised as one of the leading super funds for responsible investment by the Responsible Investment Association of Australia (RIAA).
- We are an inaugural participant in Climate Action 100+ a global initiative to reduce greenhouse gases.
- The first major Australian super fund to become Tobacco Free in 2012.
- An active member of the Investor Group on Climate Change.
We believe climate change is a significant long-term risk to the planet, our investment portfolio, and ultimately our members’ retirement outcomes.
For this reason, we have for over ten years invested in renewable energy and new technologies that can deliver strong long-term investment returns and be a force for good in society.
Through our Climate Change Transition Plan, we’re transitioning our portfolio to a low carbon economy with bold action and setting of clear targets:
- Divesting from thermal coal by October 2020
- Reducing our equity portfolio emissions by 30%
- Advocating for an economy-wide 45% reduction in emissions by 2030
Read about how we’re taking bold action on climate change
Being a responsible owner also means that while investing for strong retirement outcomes for our members, we seek to consider the impact of our investments on society.
Through our investments in renewables, affordable housing, community and new technologies, we’re helping to create jobs, contribute to a more productive economy, and support the communities where our members live, work and retire.
As a responsible owner, we take an active interest in the environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices of the companies we invest in. We believe that companies with a sustainable approach to the environment and the community, including their own workforce, will perform better over the long term.
We also believe that good governance is essential to generating the best financial outcome for members. Ultimately, our aim is to deliver strong, sustainable financial outcomes for our members. We do this by:
- voting on company resolutions (proxy voting)
- engaging on ESG issues with companies and external fund managers
- engaging with stakeholders
- excluding specific sectors or stocks when appropriate (e.g. tobacco, thermal coal)