Keep in regular contact with us so that your account doesn't get transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

The ATO requires us to transfer some superannuation balances where we have lost touch with members. By staying in touch you'll stay part of one of Australia's leading super funds.

Is your super at risk?

Contact us

How to stay in control of your super

There are some simple ways to keep your account with Aware Super and to stop the transfer to the ATO:

  1. Consolidate your superannuation

    Combine your super into one account and save.

    Search & combine now
  2. Retire with our leading pension products

    Start an income stream with us.

    Start an income stream
  3. Take your super to a new employer

    When you change jobs, it is easy to take your super with you.

    Get a Choice of fund form
  4. Update your details

    Make sure your address and other contact details are up-to-date.

    Manage your super online
  5. Make your own contributions

    You can add to your super in a number of different ways.

    More about contributions
  6. Contact us

    Keep in regular contact with us.

    Get in touch

Why do accounts get transferred to the ATO?

Under the superannuation rules, we must report and pay unclaimed super money to the ATO.

‘Unclaimed super money’ includes:

  • An account balance under $6,000 held by an uncontactable member. You are ‘uncontactable’ if we can’t contact you by mail or email at the address(es) we hold for you AND you haven’t been in contact with us or contributed in the last 12 months.
  • An account balance under $6,000 held by an inactive member. You are ‘inactive’ if you were originally nominated for membership by your employer and we haven’t received any contributions for you in the last 16 months AND you haven’t been in contact with us in the last 12 months.
  • An account held by an inactive member who is 65 years of age or more. This applies if we have not received any contributions or rollovers for you in the last two years AND it has been five years or more since you last contacted us AND we are unable to make contact with you. Once you reach 65, you can start a pension or access your benefit in cash at any time.

Benefits for the following people may also be transferred to the ATO:

  • inactive or uncontactable members who cannot be properly identified
  • former temporary resident members who have departed Australia
  • deceased members whose benefits cannot be paid following death
  • a spouse who is entitled to a benefit split under the Family Law Act 1975 and cannot be paid.

To find out more, visit the ATO website

What happens to your account if it is paid to the ATO?

If your account is transferred to the ATO, you will no longer be a member of Aware Super and any insurance cover you may have with us will stop.

You can claim the money from the ATO at any time. Generally, you will need to meet a condition of release to have this money paid to you in cash. Otherwise, it will need to be transferred to an eligible superannuation fund, such as Aware Super.

Make a claim for lost super

Search & combine

Related topics