This year’s theme for IWD is #ChooseToChallenge
“A challenged world is an alert world and from challenge comes change.
So let's all choose to challenge.
How will you help forge a gender equal world?”
There is a significant gender inequity in our retirement system and many women are concerned about what their retirement may look like, our latest research highlights the stark difference between men and women’s views on retirement. Read more about challenging the inequity of retirement.
- Women retire with 42% less super than men1
- are more likely to have broken work patterns
- earn 14% less than men2
You can see more on the super gender gap in our article here.
We’re challenging the retirement system
We’re well aware of the challenges many of our female members face in achieving an equal retirement compared to their male counterparts. That’s why we choose to challenge the government and superannuation industry to affect real change. We have, and continue to, advocate for:
- A 12% Super Guarantee for all,
- removal of the $450 superannuation payment threshold,
- payment of superannuation for up to 12 months of family leave,
- changes to family law to ensure a more equitable split in super assets due to partnership breakdowns,
- allowing couples to equalise their super through a joint account,
- better access and reduced cost of childcare, to enable women to return to the workforce.
We’re challenging you to engage with your super
We want to challenge women across Australia to engage with their super. The current superannuation system is not balanced, but you do have an ability to make a difference in your retirement outcomes, and the earlier you get involved the better.
We challenge you to:
- Know where your super is, and consider if it should all be in the one fund (you can use our SuperMatch 2 tool to find your lost super)
- Check on how your super is invested and if it’s generating strong returns (you can find information on our top-ten* returns here)
- Discover if you’re on track for the retirement you want with our explorer tool
- Complete a budget and see if you have a small amount of money spare to put aside in your super – using our explorer tool can show you how much a little bit of money a week can make a big difference in retirement
- to learn how to make the most of your super – attend one of our webinars, research your options, visit a financial adviser – just make sure you’re not missing out on an opportunity to improve your retirement outcome
We’re challenging the system to make it fairer for all, make sure you challenge yourself to make change too, because challenge begets change.
1 ASFA 2017
2 Australia's Gender Pay Gap Statistics 2020, WGEA
* SuperRatings Fund Crediting Rate Survey, December 2020. SR50 MySuper Index, current top performance over the 10-year period to 31 December 2020 is 8.96% p.a.